Firsthand Tips from the Frog Family
Planning to attend Star Wars Weekends at Disney’s Disney’s Hollywood Studios®? Here are a few tips we picked up during opening weekend so you know before you go…
Never is arriving to the park early more important than during Star Wars Weekends. If Disney’s Hollywood Studios® opens at 8 a.m., be at the gate by 7 a.m. You may be able to enter the park before it actually opens and you’ll also be greeted by Stormtroopers on the roof of the entrance. Check ‘em out here.
The Character Processional which kicks off around noon begins at the park entrance, travels up Hollywood Boulevard and ends on the Star Wars Weekends Event Stage in front of the Sorcerer Hat. Save your viewing spot at least an hour and a half beforehand to make sure the little ones get a good view of all the characters. (Here’s video proof it’s worth it.)
Immediately following the Character Processional is the Opening Ceremony on the Star Wars Weekends Event Stage. You’ll hear an exciting overview of the event, details about the new Star Tours® – The Adventures Continue Attraction 2 attraction and introductions of characters and celebrity guests. It’s pretty cool for adults and hardcore Star Wars fans, but if you’re traveling with young Jedi this is a good time to explore other parts of the park.
Jedi Training Academy
If your kiddos want to test their lightsaber skills against Darth Vader, sign up for Jedi Training Academy immediately after you enter the park. The sign-up location is in front of Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular. You’ll receive a ticket with the time your child is signed up for which you will need to have with you when you check in. (Check-in is in front of Sounds Dangerous; arrive 20-30 minutes early.) [See the Jedi Training Academy video...the little ones are adorable.]
Star Wars Character Encounters are featured in numerous locations from 8 a.m. – 7:30 p.m.
- Darth Vader is next to Backlot Tour underneath the canopy on the backside of Studio Backlot Express. (Plenty of shade.)
- Chewbacca and Ewoks are located close to the Star Tours® – The Adventures Continue Attraction. Look to the left as you exit the attraction. The line is also under some shade.
- Jedi Mickey, Princess Leia Minnie, Stormtrooper Donald and Darth Goofy are found between the Sorcerer Hat and The American Idol Experience. There is absolutely no shade in these lines so do this early in the morning or later in the afternoon.
- Queen Amidala is next to Sounds Dangerous.
- Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia and R2-D2 can be found inside Jabba’s Hutt which is located near Rockin’ Roller Coaster.
Star Tours® – The Adventures Continue Attraction – The Adventures Continue
Obviously, the line for this attraction is pretty long during Star Wars Weekends. If you don’t have a FASTPASS, you may want to do it Monday through Thursday when you may only have to wait 30 minutes. It IS awesome though and you never know which of the 50 different versions you’ll experience.
Each weekend features celebrity guests who participate in lively Q&A sessions, voice demonstrations and much more. They are also available for autographs at various times throughout the day on the Streets of America. (Disney is offering its FASTPASS service for all autograph sessions.) Check our Weekend Fun Forecast for each weekend’s celebrity guests.