One of my favorite parts of visiting Walt Disney World is watching the Wishes Fireworks show at the Magic Kingdom® Park. There are many places around the park to watch the show, but my favorite is right in front of Cinderella’s Castle to get the full effect. My family knows that at least one night of our trip we will be parked in front and they had better not even try to argue about it!
Here are my top tips for enjoying the fireworks.
- Get there early, but not too early. Because people will be watching the parade before the fireworks, you will find people taking their places out in front of the Castle literally hours before the fireworks. It isn’t worth that wait unless you want a front row seat for the parade as well. You can show up while the parade is going on and still get a good spot.
- Decide whether you want to sit or stand. There is a lot of room in front of the Castle the whole way back to the “street” where people will be sitting. If you want to sit on the ground (did you bring a poncho?), it’s a great opportunity to relax for a little bit. Just be sure the people in front of you are sitting as well. If you prefer to stand, you will be able to move up relatively close on the sides of the Castle as it begins.
- Know the schedule. Disney often has special shows for different occasions. Right now they have “The Magic, The Memories, and You” show on the Castle before the fireworks. It’s worth being there in time to watch that, plus it will ensure you have a good seat before it starts.
- Have your camera ready. The lights around the front of the park go off before the show starts, so you will want to be sure to have your camera in your hand and not be fumbling around for it when you see how beautiful the Castle and fireworks are! (See 10 Photo Tips for a Disney Vacation)
- Scope out spots throughout the day, if you do not want to brave the crowds at the Castle. Interesting locations include the train station overlooking Main Street, the benches around the Carousel, or even while riding Big Thunder Mountain Railroad® Attraction (watch it here). Alternative options are great, especially if you just want to catch a bit of the fireworks or have already seen the full show on a different night.
No matter where you are in the Magic Kingdom® Park when the fireworks begin, you will be able to get a glimpse of them somewhere. But if you are like me and want the full experience, just do a little planning and you will not be disappointed.
Are you interested in becoming a guest blogger on the Frog Blog? Check out the details here.