August is a transitional month at Walt Disney World as the parks see high traffic in the first few weeks and then fewer crowds as children go back to school. The first half of the month is still a very busy time to visit, and we recommend that you take advantage of the Frog Family’s suggested touring guide and the crowd calendar. Starting August 20, when the first wave of students heads back to school, the crowd calendar reverts to yellow (when we’re predicting the overall daily crowds to revert back to average levels). On August 28, it reverts to green, making it a great time to visit the theme parks!
Even amid the heavy crowd days at the beginning of the month, there are still individual parks with low anticipated crowd levels (i.e. Magic Kingdom on August 1). Like most children — er, frogs — Tad and Lily hate this time of year, but a trip to Disney is sure to ease the pain of going back to school!
It’s important to note that as the crowds start scaling back, Disney adjusts the park hours accordingly. During those later days of the month, for example, we’ll see Animal Kingdom close as early as 5 p.m. on some days, which can affect planning. Consult the crowd calendar for specific park times and extra magic hours. It might also make sense to purchase park hoppers.
While the calendar may show summer winding down, Florida in August is still really hot — with an average daily high of 91. It’s a perfect time to consider the Water Park Fun & More ticket, an economical way to take advantage of the theme parks as well as Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach. Your little frogs will love you for it! Here’s the official packing list for this time of year.
Upcoming in August:
- The Neverland Pirate Band will be performing August 3-August 12 at the Downtown Disney Marketplace. Lily is a big fan of the Disney Junior cartoon and can’t wait for Jake’s special appearance!
- Registration for the Epcot Food & Wine Festival on September 28-November 12 opens August 14.
- Sometime in late August, Disney plans to begin allowing advance dining reservations for Be Our Guest, the Beauty and the Beast-themed restaurant scheduled to open by year’s end in Fantasyland.
- The third phase of Disney’s Art of Animation Resort — the Lion King wing — is set to open August 10 and will celebrate Simba’s journey.
- Radio Host Tom Joyner hosts his annual family reunion, including live music, performances, an expo and more over Labor Day Weekend. It’s at the Gaylord Resort this year. (No, you don’t actually have to be related to Tom Joyner to attend the family-friendly event.)
Look for recurring blog posts on what to expect in the month’s ahead. Until then, happy planning!