Home » Blog » Family Travel » We’re Headed to the Theme Parks! What Questions Do You Have For Us?

We’re Headed to the Theme Parks! What Questions Do You Have For Us?

by Mommy Frog on September 25, 2012 · 7 Comments · in Family Travel, Rides, Shows, Parades & More

The Frog Family is headed toWalt Disney World, Universal and SeaWorld to check out many of the fun activities that we mentioned were happening this month. Our bags are packed, and the tadpoles are literally jumping for joy right now! Do you have specific event questions? Let us know — we’ll do our best to find the answers while we are there! Do you have tips or experiences that you want to share with us? We love hearing from you, and it always makes our travels that much better!

Halloween Horror Nights at Universal StudiosLeap and I are looking forward to having the living daylights scared out of us, so of course we are headed to Universal Studios’ Halloween Horror Nights. We’re most excited to see the Penn & Teller and Walking Dead houses. This is an adults-only event, so we’ve hired a sitter service for the evening. Of course, we took advantage of the great deal Undercover Tourist is offering on the Halloween Horror Nights plus 2 Day Park-to-Park ticket, so we saved $68 off of gate prices per ticket.

The next day, we’ll be hitting up the opening of the Epcot® International Wine & Food Festival. Perhaps I’ve mentioned a time or two, but I am looking forward to sampling one of this year’s new experiences – a look at chocolate from bean to bar. We will also be using Theme Park Foodie’s 5 tips for enjoying the festival.

Epcot® International Food & Wine Festival Belgian BoothYes, a stop in Belgium for Belgian Waffles with Berry Compote and Whipped Cream is definitely on the agenda!

At Lily’s urging, we’re headed back for another night at Mickey’s Not-So-Scary Halloween Party. This is Tad and Lily’s favorite holiday, and it’s a perennial favorite in no small part because of all the candy and character encounters! Happy HalloWishes is also one of the best fireworks shows — some argue the very best — at Walt Disney World.

The Amazing Adventures of Spider Man at Universal's Islands of Adventure On Saturday, we head to Islands of Adventure, mostly because we love the Wizarding World of Harry Potter (and Butterbeer!) and riding The Amazing Adventures of Spider Man (in 3D!). We’ll take in the sights and sounds of Downtown Disney that night. Tad loves the LEGO Imagination Center (it’s one of our favorite FREE things to do at Disney), so I am sure he will insist we stop by and at least take a picture or two among the creations outside.

On Sunday, we’re hitting SeaWorld. No visit would be complete without riding Manta and experiencing 3D Turtle Trek, which opened this past spring. Tad is hoping to get a look at all of the construction going on for the new Antarctica: Empire of the Penguin ride/exhibit that promises to be absolutely amazing when it opens next year. We’re all looking forward to ending our day at Dine With Shamu, probably no one more so than Lily, who absolutely loves to watch the killer whales. Lucky for us, SeaWorld has a special going on, so children (and frogs) under 10 eat for free.

Of course, we look forward to sharing our experiences here on the blog, and we hope you will do the same!

Mommy Frog

7 Responses to “We’re Headed to the Theme Parks! What Questions Do You Have For Us?”

1. Sue McNeil says:

Hi, How far in advance do Blue Man Group tickets go on sale? (We’re going in January). Thanks

Hi Sue,

Right now, Blue Man Group tickets are only on sale through the end of December. Usually, there is a larger window for advance purchase, so we will wait and see if there are changes coming to the performance!

– Leap

2. Teresa Giorgio says:

I saw on the Undercover Tourist review of Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey (in Universal IOA) that Mommy Frog gets very queasy on this ride. Can you tell me more about this attraction? We’re going in late October and I really want to see the castle, etc, with my kids, but I am a bit afraid of heights. How far up above Hogwarts does the ride go? Thank you for any help you can give me!

Hi Teresa,

This is a first-class attraction and a must-do for most Harry Potter fans — you will feel like you’re soaring high above Hogwarts and elsewhere alongside Harry! Because it is so realistic, though, this ride may present issues for those prone to motion sickness or afraid of heights. For some, it may be worth experiencing “just once,” but if it has the potential for ruining the rest of your day in the park, we say skip it or have it be the last ride of the day. Mommy Frog has ridden it once, and so far that has been enough!

Let us know what you decide to do!
      – Leap

3. Teresa Giorgio says:

Thanks for the details, Leap. My palms are sweating just reading what you wrote! But I may have to force myself to take the Journey since I am a die-hard Harry Potter fan as much as my kids. We’ve all read and re-read the books, and I can’t imagine missing the adventure of seeing the castle and other HP familiar sites. Will I be able to do the tour of the castle, etc, without having to ride the ride, or is it all one continuous experience?

We travel to Orlando next week, and I’ll let you know how it goes when we return!

4. Teresa Giorgio says:

Well, I did it! I was still ambivalent about riding the Forbidden Journey, but decided to give it a try. I must confess that I ended up keeping my eyes closed most of the time and keeping a tight grip on my 7 year old daughter’s knee right next to me. I just had to close my eyes at the parts where it appeared we were high up. Three of my other kids who rode it (ages 10, 12, and 14) loved it, eyes open and all.

Thanks for all of the helpful tips you give on your website. It made our first trip to Disney/Universal much easier to plan.