It’s time for the Frog Family’s weekly roundup of Disney and Orlando theme park tidbits from the interwebs.
We love comments! Drop us a line below if you have something to share.
This week’s highlights:
- Most of you following along know the big news this week was the unveiling of MyMagic+, Walt Disney World’s super secret “next-gen” project. Most of the commentary we’ve seen so far revolves around FASTPASS+, with many “planners” welcoming the new system, which will allow guests to book guaranteed times for certain shows and attractions in advance. Others see it as overplanning and don’t like the idea of reserved areas for parades and fireworks shows. The vast majority of folks seem to be reserving judgment until there is more understanding of how it will work. We’ll be adding more information about MyMagic+ and FASTPASS+ in the coming days and weeks, so be sure to check back.
- A couple of big events are happening this weekend at the parks, the first of which is the 20th anniversary of the Walt Disney World Marathon, happening this Sunday.
- Of course, Tad prefers hopping to running, but he was taken with the Vinylmation Mini-Medal — featuring Mickey in running attire — that was part of the marathon’s commemorative merchandise.
- For all of you princesses looking ahead to next month’s half marathon, perhaps a Dooney & Bourke — with embossed leather marathon-logo hangtag — is in order after all of those miles you’ve logged? It, as well as the Vinylmation mini-medals, will be available for you.
- If you’re looking for something a little less strenuous than a marathon, hop on over to Just for Kids at SeaWorld Orlando. Imagination Movers will kick off the first day of this kid-approved fun fest, held the next four Saturdays.
- Looking a little further ahead, Universal Orlando unveiled the rest of its lineup for this year’s Mardi Gras concerts. Demi Lovato, Pitbull and Phillip Phillips are among those who will be making stops (in addition to the previously announced Matchbox 20) for the festivities held on select days February through April.
- LEGOLAND Florida has announced its first-ever Star Wars Days for May 4 and 5 set in its newly opened Star Wars Miniland.
- We’ll wrap up this week’s roundup with a little levity, courtesy of Orlando Attractions Magazine, which somehow managed to score an interview with the “CEO” of @fakethemepark. We still think @themeparkfrog is a better handle.
That’s all for this week. Until next week, hoppy planning!