Home » Blog » News & Refurbishments » Disney World Unveils Next Gen in Planning with MyMagic+ & FASTPASS+

Disney World Unveils Next Gen in Planning with MyMagic+ & FASTPASS+

Last updated September 13, 2013

As promised Monday, we wanted to bring you more information about the massive project Walt Disney World unveiled this week aimed at enhancing the guest experience. Dubbed MyMagic+, these new initiatives — which will roll out over the coming months — are aimed at allowing guests to better customize and plan their trips in advance as well as inside the parks. Guests would begin planning through a new Disney website and mobile app called “My Disney Experience.”

A key piece of this is FASTPASS+, which will allow guests to book guaranteed times for certain shows and attractions in advance. With the current FASTPASS system, guests have to physically visit ride locations to obtain a pass to come back during a specified time window to skip the regular wait line. FASTPASS+ and FASTPASS will be separate from each other, and guests will not be able to take advantage of both.

According to a Walt Disney World press release, guests could book FASTPASS+ from home and make changes on the go:

• For the first time, guests will be able to reserve firework and parade viewing areas, shows, Disney character Greetings and more, in addition to their favorite attractions.
  • For guests who don’t know where to start, Disney will recommend FastPicks – a set of three FastPass+ selections that serve as a starting point – and give guests the option to customize their selections.
  • Disney FastPass+ service is included with Theme Park admission.

RFID kiosk

Disney is also rolling out radio frequency identification-equipped wrist bands — initially to resort guests — that would serve as tickets and room keys, similar to the existing Keys to the World card. Guests would be able to use these “MagicBands” to make purchases in the parks as well as interfacing with FASTPASS+ kiosks and PHOTOPASS by simply touching their band to one of the RFID devices. MagicBands will be free for resort guests, annual passholders and guests who purchase a photo package. Other guests will be able to purchase MagicBands, although their RFID tickets will offer the same functionality.

Tom Staggs, Chairman of Walt Disney World Parks and Resorts, shared more specifics about the MagicBands in comments on his original Disney Parks Blog post:

RFID Reader at Epcot®“Guests staying at Walt Disney World Resort hotels, and Annual Passholders will receive a band, as well as those guests who purchase a photography package. Guests who stay at non-Disney hotels will receive a ticket with features of touch to enter the park, touch to redeem FastPass+ and touch to pay. These guests can participate in My Disney Experience and purchase a MagicBand if they wish.”

Guests will not be required to use MyMagic+, but they will have to if they want to take advantage of FASTPASS+.

As we mentioned yesterday, if you have recently purchased tickets or you are planning to purchase tickets through Undercover Tourist, you might be concerned that you will be “missing out” on this new technology. Rest assured, you will still have access to the same opportunities offered through MyMagic+. In addition, just as you can have your tickets purchased from Undercover Tourist added to your Keys to the World card, you will be able to enjoy new functionality in the future. You will find additional details on this post.

Disney has directly advised us that they have a target date of 4th quarter 2013 to have all enhancements in place and working. Once this program is fully launched, all Undercover Tourist tickets will offer the same functionality as a ticket purchased directly from Disney. By creating a profile and linking your Undercover Tourist tickets to My Disney Experience, once it is fully launched, you will be able to make advance FastPass+ reservations, should you choose, for different attractions and experiences in the park.

As always, we offer a ton of resources — from when to visit to which ticket makes sense in our Planning Guide.

Related: Exploring the pros and cons of FASTPASS+ … so far

Here’s to making vacation memories in 2013!
– Leap

40 Responses to “Disney World Unveils Next Gen in Planning with MyMagic+ & FASTPASS+”

1. Marisa says:

Love getting tickets from you.We recently booked a trip and they made us purchase at least 1 day tickets, because we wanted the Dining Plan. I can’t believe how expensive a one day ticket is. Thanks for your wonderful service and giving us the opportunity to purchase bargain prices on tickets.

2. Judy says:

When will fastpass+ take effect. I am coming to WDW in February. My first time & I want it to be great experience. I am AP @ Disneyland & entry changes they made yesterday was a nightmare.
    Thanks,
    Judy

3. Tina says:

It says you can have your tickets purchased from undercover added to your keys to the world.. how do I do that?? My family was at Disney World over Christmas and would have done that if I had known.

4. Beth says:

How will the “adding tickets purchased from Undercover Tourist to your Key to the World card” work if our UT tickets are for longer than that particular WDW trip? (We usually buy the 10-day non-expiring Park Hoppers plus fun visits, then use them for three or four trips.)

Hi Beth,

You would check in with concierge to get your tickets added to the Keys to the World card. If you have remaining days for your next visit, you would bring the Key to the World card to concierge, and they would issue a new Key to the World card (or MagicBand if applicable).

Hope this helps!
      – Leap

5. Jaclyn says:

Is there a specified date of when will the wrist bands start being used? We have annual passes, but they run out in July. We are making our last trip for a while in June. We would love to have the wrist bands and start planning our trip as soon as possible. I guess you would have to go to guest relations and show them your annual pass to get the wrist band?

6. ANDERSON says:

Estou planejando minha ida para WDW e demais parques agora em Março 2013 e gostaria de detalhes ex preços totais para obter FASTPASS aqui no Brasil .
    Grato

7. arvalentine says:

So if I’m understanding this correctly, we can purchase tickets from Undercover and then add them to My Disney Experience, thus becoming eligible for the FastPass Plus system when it is implemented? I was set to purchase from you but am now concerned about eligibility before arriving. I assumed I could be part of the system after my first “swipe” of Undercover tickets, but that kind of defeats the purpose of advance reservations for rides/attractions.

8. Vicki says:

I am staying at the Fort Wilderness Cabins in March, & I am wondering how do I find out if my family is included in the test phase for the Magic Bands & Fastpass+? Is this something we find out at check in, or do we receive an email? Thank you for your help.

Hi Vicki,

We don’t have a definitive answer since we don’t know the testing details, but our understanding is that you would be notified by Disney before your trip at least for FASTPASS+ testing so you could book selections.

Fort Wilderness Cabins should be a lot of fun! Let us know how it goes.

– Leap

9. Deb says:

Has the fastpass+ been initated yet? We are going march 14??
    Thanks.

Hi Deb,

How lucky for you — less than a month to go! FASTPASS+ has not been launched yet. We will update this post when it does!

– Leap

10. Layla says:

We are planning a trip for October 2014 and we always stay on property because we are DVC members. I usually buy my park tickets separately from booking hotel rooms from the UT site. Since our rooms and tickets are separate do you think this will cause any sort of complications in converting paper tickets to RFID tickets. We are definitely staying on property and I want to make sure we won’t have to purchase wristbands after we arrive if we are using the MyMagic+ system

Hi Layla,

There will be a process in place to convert existing tickets to RFID tickets. From what has been announced already, MagicBands will be free for guests staying at a Walt Disney World Resort.

Best,
      – Leap

11. Carolyn says:

Hey there, we are planning on visiting from Australia in December. Has the fastpass + been implemented yet? Starting to plan. Thanks. Cal

Hi Carolyn,

Fastpass+ has not yet been implemented. We’ll post it here when it does!

Best,
      –Leap

12. fornea says:

We appreciate you the actual excellent writeup. The item the fact is had been the satisfaction consideration that. View intricate so that you can much more presented agreeable from you finding out! On the other hand, exactly how could most of us connect?

13. Kristin Vigil says:

I have a couple of questions about the new Magic + and Fast pass +. I know nothing has been released yet. I have downloaded the My Disney Experience and already have my room reservation showing and my character meal reservation in the system. We are not going until November 21st. I do not show a fastpass + option in the app. Will it show only after they have fully implemented the system?

If I purchase tickets through UCT can I just program them into My Disney Experience? When I check in will I get a Magic Band or Key to the world with my info on the card if I program it in to the My Disney Experience?

Also with the hopper option: If I have a 5 day pass can I skip a day of theme parks in the middle of my vacation. Basically I am asking can I use my pass Friday not use it Saturday and go back in Sun – Wed?

Hi Kristin,

All good questions, and I expect Disney will release details soon. My understanding is if you purchase through us, you will be able to use that unique ticket number for Disney’s website, making reservations etc.

As to your second question, the ticket expires 14 days after your first use of it — you activate it by entering the theme park — so, yes, you can skip a day.

Best,
      – Leap

• Jennifer M. says:

Our family just went in August and we used 5 day tickets that we had purchased from Undercover Tourist without any problems (and we participated in the trial of the My Magic Plus system). We stayed at Pop Century, which was one of the four resorts participating in the trial in the month of August (I can’t remember offhand what the other three on-site resorts were that participated in the August trial, but if you’re going in November it wouldn’t apply anyway). Disney contacted us exactly two weeks before our hotel stay (via e-mail and a UPS overnight mailing) to let us know that we could order our Magic Bands and make our FastPass Plus selections on the My Disney Experience website. We were also able to use the old FastPass kiosks at the park with the paper tickets we had purchased from Undercover Tourist (in addition to our on-line Fastpass Plus selections that we had made ahead of time). [That isn't supposed to be the case once the new system is fully implemented, but I wanted to reassure you that we were able to do that during this trial period]. We went for two days, rested for three days, and then went back for the last three days without any problems or issues (we just linked our two separate on-site hotel stays to our My Disney Experience account, and stayed with relatives the remainder of our time in Florida). Please ask me any additional questions you may have, as I called Disney with my questions many times and I would like to assist others that have questions by relaying our experience.

14. Michelle says:

When we were there for Labor Day, they were doing Fastpass + but ONLY for resort guests. For example, we went to see Mickey and Minnie at AK. There was a regular line (which was long) and a FP+ line. When I asked the worker how I would get the FP+, he said it was only for resort guests. You state it will be included with paid admission. I hope so, I was NOT happy I could not FP. I hope this is due to them testing it before rolling it out…

Hi Michelle,

The system is currently in testing, which is currently limited to some of the resort properties. When it fully launches, it will be available to all guests that wish to use it.

Best,
      – Mommy Frog

15. Stacie says:

Are there step-by-step instructions to link tickets purchased through UCT to MagicBands? I have customized our bands, but it will not allow me to use the FastPass+ until I show I have a ticket to the park for that particular day.

16. je says:

Hi! Is the fast pass + now available for use by all ticket holders? Thanks!

17. Pam says:

Just about to order my tickets for Christmas week at Disney. From everything I have read it seems I will be able to link the tickets through My Disney Experience. When can I do that? Do I have to wait until I receive the tickets in the mail? Or will I receive some kind of code through email that I can use. I have used this site before and am very happy with the service and especially the price so I am hoping that I will be able to link everything easily. Thanks for your help!!!

Hi Pam,

Yes, you will be able to link your tickets on My Disney Experience. You would be able to link your tickets after you receive them, but if you have any questions, feel free to contact our customer service at info@undercovertourist.com or call 1-800-846-1302.

–Leap

18. Matt says:

Have you had any customers report problems with upgrading tickets that have been linked to magic bands?

We purchased some 10 day WDW base tickets through UCT that we’d like to upgrade to include water park fun & more when we arrive at WDW (we know that in order to “price bridge” these tickets we need to use them at least once in one of the four major parks and then hope that we get a CM a guest relations who understands price bridging).

I guess I’m concerned that if we upgrade the tickets, it will trigger some other glitch, such as the upgrade not being recognized on the Magic Bands (such as when we try to enter a water park) or our FP+ reservations being erased. So just curious if you’ve heard customers report problems in this regard.

Thanks

Hi Matt,

I have not heard of any problems with this particular issue. If you would like further assistance or have other questions, please contact our customer service at info@undercovertourist.com or 1-800-846-1302.

Best,
      –Leap

19. Stacey says:

We have always purchased our tickets through UCT, we have time left on our 10 day No expiration parkhopper. Can these tickets be converted to the wrist band before we leave for our March trip or do we have to wait till we get there? Thanks.

Hi Stacy,

As you probably know, MyMagic+ is still in test phase, and as such there could be changes when the system is fully rolled out.

We expect you will be able to convert these tickets to MagicBands before you leave, assuming you are staying at a Disney resort. If you have more questions, feel free to call 1-800-846-1302 or email our customer service at info@undercovertourist.com.

– Mommy Frog

20. monica Ryan says:

We are travelling in sept 2014, is it anticipated that fastpass+ will be rolled out to all guests by this date? We are staying off site for the first 12 days of trip but need accomodation for 2 more days on the last weekend, do you suggest we book into a Disney resort to enable fastpass+, and can we use it if we plan to spend most of our park days in the first 12 days as we are trying to avoid the parks on weekends thanks monica.

21. tammisk says:

I am planning a trip the last week of March, 2014. Will fastpass+ be available to all resort guest by then?

Hello Tammisk,

We cannot say for sure as we are not privy to the timetable. Since it’s not too far away, I would suggest you stay in touch. We’ll be sure to report it when they do!

– Leap