It’s time for the Frog Family’s weekly roundup of Disney and Orlando theme park tidbits from the interwebs.
We love comments! Drop us a line below if you have something to share.
This week’s highlights:
- The biggest news of the week came from SeaWorld, which gave a hard hat tour of construction progress on Antarctica: Empire of the Penguin. Behind all of the cool photos was the news that the combination attraction/exhibit starring one gentoo penguin named Puck will officially open May 24. Tad can hardly contain himself!
- Along with Antarctica, we added a couple of other new items to our list of attractions and experiences coming to the theme parks in 2013. One of those was Adventurer’s Outpost, a new meet-and-greet area for Mickey and Minnie on Discovery Island® in Disney’s Animal Kingdom® Theme Park, that is set to open this spring.
- We also learned that the Kennedy Space Center is debuting a new $100 million exhibit around Space Shuttle Atlantis, which will open June 29.
- While the date for the launch of Big Thunder Mountain Railroad® Attraction’s interactive queue is still under wraps, imagineers shared a first look at the opportunities guests will have to interact with the attraction while waiting to board. I must admit I got very excited when I learned that the new queue might have me blasting a mine shaft!
- Ahead of the March opening of the “Oz The Great and Powerful” film and the Flower & Garden Festival, Epcot® opened the Land of Oz Garden, an interactive garden and play area that features real flowers as well as art glass poppies.
- Pin traders will be happy to get a peek at the 2013 Hidden Mickey pins – these are cast member pins that are specially designed for trading with guests. It’s never too late to start collecting!
- Just in time for spring, we have added a few new ticket options and brought back some old favorites. We’re offering single day admission to LEGOLAND Florida (at a savings of $16) as well as LEGOLAND Florida and LEGOLAND Water Park 1 and 2 day tickets. We’ve also got the SeaWorld & Busch Gardens Combo ticket (at a savings of $13).
- Disney unveiled a new line of beauty products and cosmetics that will be exclusive to the parks. Select items of Beautifully Disney will be available in early March.
- Need a Butterbeer fix stat? Orlando Informer taste tested a few recipes that come close to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter must-have.
- Hard to believe it’s been 20 years already since the opening of Disneyland Paris. Of course, Mickey and Minnie were on hand for the festivities, with Minnie bedecked in a blue neoprene and sequin dress by French fashion house Lanvin. Quelle magnifique, Minnie!
That’s all for this week. Until next week, happy planning!