Hi there! We do a roundup every Friday of the most interesting news surrounding Disney and the Orlando theme parks. If you’re thinking about a trip to Disney World, we post news, tips and information to this blog throughout the week. If you’re ready to plan your trip, we recommend you start with our planning pages.
OK, let’s get started!
- Disney made news this week when it announced it was instituting a policy that children under 14 must be accompanied by an adult to enter all of its U.S. theme parks. While Dad’s Guide to Walt Disney World asked the question of whether this was a “big deal or not,” The Los Angeles Times did a very good story that explored reasons for the change. It got us thinking about the “right age” to let a child visit the parks alone. I know splitting up inside the parks is common, but at what age would you (or did you) let you child go solo? Share your thoughts below.
- Construction at Universal Studios appears to be moving at a brisk pace, with MiceChat predicting a soft opening ahead for Transformers.
- Speaking of Universal, a new trailer was released for “Despicable Me 2,” which hits theaters July 3 and reminds me of all the fun I had on Despicable Me Minion Mayhem at Universal Studios.
- Mommy Frog and Tad paid a visit to the Epcot® International Flower & Garden Festival this past weekend to check out the blooms (or play areas in Tad’s case) and put together a few tips for touring with kids!
- With Easter right around the corner, Disney Floral & Gifts has put together a few Disney-themed baskets that Mickey Mouse can help the Easter bunny deliver if you’re staying at the Walt Disney World Resort over the holidays.
- For those of you keeping an eye on the West Coast, SeaWorld has announced a July 1 opening date for Aquatica San Diego.
- It seems like there is always debate about the value of the Disney Dining Plan, and for those of you who like math, one Disney fan has put together a spreadsheet to help you run the numbers.
- The Disney Parks Blog explored some of the “gems” at Downtown Disney — soon to be Disney Springs — starting with Characters in Flight, the gigantic balloon that offers incredible views of the entire Walt Disney World Resort.
- LEGOLAND Florida is planning to bring the “Legends of Chima” to life this summer – with a new “world” in the park that will include an interactive water ride and battle arena.
That’s all for this week. Until next week, happy planning!