Home » Blog » Disney Crafts & Fun Stuff » The Frog Family’s Disney World Must-Dos

The Frog Family’s Disney World Must-Dos

by Mommy Frog on July 9, 2013 · 19 Comments · in Disney Crafts & Fun Stuff

We all have them, those things that we absolutely MUST DO every time we visit the Walt Disney World Resort! We have such a magical experience the first time around that we just have to come back and do the same thing again and again (even sometimes at the expense of trying something new). And then they become our Disney ritual! No longer something we’d even consider skipping. Maybe you do too?

Test Track® Presented by Chevrolet® Presented by Chevrolet

For example, Test Track® Presented by Chevrolet® Presented by Chevrolet at Epcot® is always one of Tad’s must-dos. No matter how long or short our visit, he absolutely must make the journey to Epcot® for his fix. Yes, last year’s extended refurbishment almost killed him. He loves the Animation Academy at Disney’s Hollywood Studios® as well, and he won’t let us visit the park without popping into this under-the-radar attraction to learn how to draw our favorite Disney characters.

Big Top Treats

For me, I always have to stop into Big Top Treats for a candy apple. Now, I know what you’re thinking. Big Top Treats hasn’t been open all that long. This New Fantasyland™ confectionery inside of Big Top Souvenirs has been open for less than a year, but it’s one of my favorite stops, and I’ll confess that I’ve now made several visits just for the candy apples! It seems like every time we visit there is a new one to try.

Big Top Treats Caramel Apple

The first time I had a Cheshire Cat, and this last time, during the Monstrous Summer All-Nighter, I had a gloriously green Mike Wazowski apple! If you ask, the wonderful cast members working behind the counter will cut your apple for you, which makes it much easier to share.

While each of us have our own must-dos, there are some experiences that we all share — the Frog Family’s Disney Must-Dos!

Mad Tea Party

For example, we always pay a visit to the Mad Tea Party. This classic Disney attraction themed around the Mad Hatter’s tea party in “Alice in Wonderland” is a must-do for many families, not just ours, for good reason — everyone seems to love it. The first time we all rode it, everything started off great until Tad began spinning us too fast. All of a sudden, I looked over at Lily and her smile was replaced by a look of terror. Her sweet little green face had turned yellow, and I thought, “Uh-oh, she’s gonna be sick. Or worse, she’s never going to get back on the tea cups again!” Luckily for us, Tad immediately slowed down, and then once again we saw her happy face. After the ride came to a stop, Lily was able to formulate words — “Tea cups too fast! Tea cups too fast!” I asked her if she got dizzy, and she, of course, said, “I dizzy. I dizzy, Mommy.” And we all had a good laugh.

Mad Tea Party at Magic Kingdom® Park

I know not all tadpoles would be so good-natured about it, but Lily loves going fast, spinning and, perhaps not surprisingly, trying to keep up with her big brother. I know she wouldn’t dream of making a trip to Disney World without a spin on the tea cups, and because she and Tad love it so much, neither would we!

What are your Disney World must-dos and why? Share in comments below!

Related: Stumbling Upon Big Memories in the Most Overlooked Attractions

Hoppy memories!
–Mommy Frog

19 Responses to “The Frog Family’s Disney World Must-Dos”

1. Tory western says:

Our must do on every trip is a visit to Giharedlli in downtown Disney

2. Rick says:

Family of 4 with 8yr old son and 5 yr old daughter, other than the odvious thrill rides:
    MK- Small World, Pirates, People Mover, and the shootin arcade.
    Epcot- Journey to Imagination, and The Three Caballeros.
    AK- Nemo, and Lion King – Not Tough to be a Bug!
    We (I) have also learned to take time for character visits and pin trading – the kids love it!

3. Marie Dexter says:

I commented on FB too but we have a few must dos (People Mover, Safari, TSM). I love the Waszowski treat pictured!! I want one!

4. Sherry Parker says:

The one thing that we must do not natter what is have a dole whip. It is the last thing we do before leaving the Magic Kingdom. We have been known to come back to the park even if we were at another Disney park just to get our fix. This year for the first time they had dole whip at Epcot what a tteat

5. Rhona says:

Our family must do is the laugh floor in magic kingdom. We go at least once every day we are in magic kingdom. Three of my children have been picked to be on camera. And my husband was picked as Sulley 3 times. Two of them were in the same day. He’s saying he won’t go back in this year, but I’m sure the kids will talk him into it. :)

6. Keith says:

My wife and I have been 4 times and so far the Must-Do list is pretty extensive. I’ll pick one attraction from each park and a bonus or two.

in the Magic Kingdom, we have got to ride Splash Mountain at least a few times.
    In Epcot, we’ve become big fans of Reflections of China.
    in Hollywood Studios, we must finish the night off with a marathon of the Tower of Terror. Our record is 5 rides after Fantasmic.
    in Animal Kingdom, we haven’t missed the festival of the Lion King yet.

As a Bonus, we always have to get a Rainbow Kakigori from Japan in Epcot. Since we found them, we get one each day we’re in the park.

7. nancy Ramm says:

I have only been to disney once over 10 years ago so will be enjoying some new attractions when we go this year. I am sure I will find a few favorites.

8. Jen Nowicki says:

Love all the great ideas! We are taking our girls for the first time in August! Can’t wait to find their favorite things!

9. Rand says:

At MK: Thunder Mountain Railroad and Fireworks show and Laugh Factory
    HS: Toy Story and the Indiana Jones Stunt Show and Fantasmic
    AK: Nemo and Lion King Shows
    Epcot: Weren’t thrilled with any rides there

10. Helen says:

We just got back and had a great time!

Here is our must do list:
    MK- Splash Mt., Haunted Mansion, Pirates, Peter Pan’s Flight, The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, Space Mt., (new) lunch at Be Our Guest, a Dole Whip while watching the Tiki Room.

Epcot – Spaceship Earth, TestTrack, Maelstrom, Grand Fiesta Tour/Three Amigos.

AK – Expedition Everest, Dinosaur, the flying foxes on the Maharajeh Jungle Trek.

HS – Rock N Rollercoaster, Tower of Terror, Great Movie Ride

11. kathy mccracken says:

When at Magic Kingdom we always (8 years) eat at Crystal Palace and and visit The Tiki Tiki Room over and over!

12. Rachael Bronner Kaplan says:

Our “must dos” as a family is the Pirates of the Carribean and Haunted Mansion…

For my husband is Kakgori (the shaved ice) in Japan at EPCOT.

My daughter is a Mickey’s Premuim Bar, which is nice because you can get them anywhere.

For me, my must do is Soarin’ (EPCOT) and riding the train in Magic Kingdom

13. Julie Isbell says:

we have a few favorite rituals that we never stray from! since we visit during the Christmas/new year holiday, we always resort hop and check out all the greatness of the other resorts! we always buy a Christmas ornament! we always start our trip off by visiting MK the first day! I always cry as I enter MK and walk down main street! we always do at least 1 character meal! and we always do the pressed pennies! these are just a few of our family rituals!

14. Nancy Harn says:

Bob at Port Orleans Riverside (Wed to Sunday evenings) Don’t miss it!

15. Tim says:

MK I can’t believe no one has mentioned the Carousel of Progress, that’s a nostalgic must-do. We also can’t leave the park without a Dole Whip float. Wishes fireworks show has to end at least one of our days on vacation.

Epcot: I know it’s not a “thrill ride”, but we have to ride Spaceship Earth at least once. We save it for the afternoon, when everyone has headed over to the World Showcase. Also can’t leave without riding Soarin’, so we FP that as soon as we get there. The other must-do’s there are a margarita at La Cava del Tequila, and the IllumiNations fireworks show. If our boys don’t get on Mission:Space at least once, then they at least have to play Mission Space Race a few times.

HS: No way we’re going there and not riding Rock n’ Roller Coaster as much as possible. My wife and I rode it 17 times on our honeymoon. I think that the time remaining for Muppets 3D will not be much longer, and we always try to do that. It’s a great respite from the heat of the afternoon.

AK: We always have to do the safari ride and Flights of Wonder.

AK Lodge: That’s our DVC home resort, and we stay there more often than not. We love going down to the bar at Sanaa and chatting up our favorite bartender, Kat.

Poly: In our opinion, no trip is complete without dinner at ‘Ohana. That’s all there is to it.

I could keep going, but in the interest of space……

16. Kristin Vigil says:

WOW! I just want to say Ditto to all the above. And now I have a list of must tries (primarily some of the food listed above). My 6 year old told me for her birthday she wants to swim at night in the pool, go to fantasmic, and ride the rockin roller coaster (which she is hoping to be tall enough for). Those are her must do’s. My 8 year olds must do’s are Dinosaur and Test Trak. And as a family we have to start at the Magic Kingdom. It sets the mood for the entire trip.

17. Dawn says:

Counting down the days until our next visit “home.”

One of our favorite things to do is resort hop on our park free days. This year we bought APs for the first time. Now, every day can be a park day, even if only for one thing!

Must do MK: Buzz Lightyear, Laugh Floor, Philharmagic and Carousel of progress.
    Epcot: Spaceship Earth, Soarin, Dinner in Le Cellier.
    AK: the safari, Festival of the Lion King
    HS: Backlot tour (will be sad if the rumors are true and it goes), Muppets, Walt Disney walkthrough, and the best ride ever? TTMM!

Also look forward to pressed pennies, but only the 0.51 priced, dole whips, and pics with the skeletons at World of Disney!

18. Pam Baker says:

First thing first go to Undercover tourist for passes and car rental. Once were are at the Magic Kingdom head for splash mountain get fast pass, then ride. Then thunder mountain railroad.
    Shop
    Before we leave for our afternoon break get my caramel apple.
    At Hollywood Studios get fast pass to Toy Story Mania, Tower of Terror,
    Lunch at Prime Time.
    Shop
    Animal Kingdom, Mount Everest and , K Safari.
    Shop
    Epcot Soarin Mission to Space, Test Track.
    Lunch at Le Cellier
    Shop
    Some time during our trip, must see Fantasmic and Illuminations.
    Look for the Seven Dwarfs(but never do find them). Doesn’t hurt to keep looking.
    Now the rest of the week go do everything else.
    Shop shop and more shopping.

t

19. Angela Krosnick says:

MK buzz lightyear and Haunted Mansion
    Epcot soarin
    Hollywood tower of terror and Rock-n-roll roller coaster
    We have to eat at Tangierine Café in Morocco in Epcot