Hi there! Welcome to our weekly roundup of the most interesting news surrounding Disney and the Orlando theme parks. Oh, and a little bit of personal Frog Family news. Mommy Frog has taken over the weekly roundup! Yes, she is much more into the food, dining and shopping than I am and she asked me if she could bring her voice to it.
This week’s highlights:
- It’s never too early to start thinking about Mardi Gras, especially when it’s Mardi Gras at Universal Studios! (What can I say, we frogs like a good party!) And while the full lineup hasn’t been released, we do know that Robin Thicke and The Wanted will be performing, Feb. 22 and May 10 respectively, during Universal’s springtime bash.
- Disney made big news this week when it released details about the AVATAR-inspired land coming to Disney’s Animal Kingdom. Perhaps just as exciting (more exciting?), the park will be adding a new nighttime spectacular featuring live music, floating lanterns, water screens and swirling animal imagery and a nighttime version of Kilimanjaro Safaris.
- Shanghai Disney Resort reached a significant milestone: The installation of its first steel column. The theme park will eventually include Enchanted Storybook Castle, Disney’s largest and most interactive castle.
- RunDisney fans rejoice! Running store Fit2Run is coming to Downtown Disney next month. Look for it on the West Side across from House of Blues.
- Speaking of RunDisney, you probably saw Liliane Opsomer’s race recap from The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler. But did you see the Vine video of her Merida race costume? Too cute!
- “Glow With the Show” ears made their Disney World debuts on Tuesday night during “Fantasmic!” at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. Starting Saturday, they’ll be coming to Magic Kingdom’s “Wishes” fireworks show and castle projection show “Celebrate the Magic.”
- In need of some creative inspiration? Look no further than Joe Kaminski, a copywriter by day and Disney artist by night. He is also the Signature Artist for this year’s Festival of the Masters, taking place Nov. 8-10 at Downtown Disney.
- You coaster fans, take note: Orlando Informer has put together a guide for where to sit for the biggest thrills at Universal Orlando.
That’s all for this week. Have a great weekend!
If you’re thinking about a trip to Disney World, make sure to check out the other news, tips and information we post to the blog throughout the week. If you’re ready to plan your trip, we recommend you start with our planning pages.
— Mommy Frog