Home » Blog » News & Refurbishments » How To Use FastPass+ at Disney World in the Parks – Step By Step

How To Use FastPass+ at Disney World in the Parks – Step By Step

Update for guests not staying at a Disney resort: As of March 31, you have the ability to book advanced FastPass+ reservations up to 30 days in advance. More details are available at this post.

Now that Disney World has opened up FastPass+ testing to all park guests, we thought it was the perfect time to walk you through how to use FastPass+ at Disney World for the next time you’re visiting the parks!

As a reminder, legacy FastPasses are no longer available, which is why they no longer display on our wait-time apps. At this time only resort guests are allowed to make FastPass+ reservations up to 60 days in advance of their visit to the parks. Park guests currently can make day-of reservations using the park kiosk machines, which are located throughout the parks. Look for the big FP signs — you can’t miss them!!!

How to use FastPass+

Once you find a kiosk, you’re ready to make your FastPass+ reservations.

How to use FastPass+ at Disney World via a Kiosk

How to use FastPass+ at Disney World

To get started, touch your ticket to the Mickey RFID reader.

How to use FastPass+

If you have set up a profile on My Disney Experience and linked your ticket already (not required), the system will identify you by name. If you have not set up a profile, the system will identify you as guest. If you want to make FastPass+ reservations for your whole party, you can do this by selecting “Add another guest to your travel party” and linking your tickets.

How to use FastPass+ at Disney World

You will then be asked to select three experiences from the list of available attractions and entertainment options by park. If you select FastPicks, the system will make three selections on your behalf.

How to use FastPass+ at Disney World

At this point, if you have additional members for your party, you can add them at this time.

How to use FastPass+ at Disney World

You will then be presented with a “Best Match” based on your selections. Additional times are shown under options B, C and D. It’s also possible to go back in after your selections are confirmed and change your selections individually.

How to use FastPass+ at Disney World

If you’re happy with your selections, then you are ready to hit the rides or explore the park!

If you decide that you would like to book another time for one of your already booked attractions or entertainment choices OR you would like to replace one of your booked attractions for another, you have the option to make changes.

How to use FastPass+ at Disney World

You’ll have to select which attraction you would like to make changes for.

How to use FastPass+ at Disney World

You will then have the option to change the experience or change the time.

How to use FastPass+ at Disney World

If you choose to change the time, you will be presented with a list of the available time slots for the selected attraction. Keep in mind, that you will only be shown times that don’t overlap with your other two selections. For example, if you were scheduled for Under the Sea~Journey of the Little Mermaid between 12:45 and 1:45, you would not be presented with an overlapping time for Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin.

How to use FastPass+ at Disney World

If you choose to change the experience, you will then be presented with the list of available experiences.

How to use FastPass+ at Disney World

You will be asked to confirm your changes — and then off you go!

How to Use FastPass+ at the attractions:

When you are ready to use your FastPass reservation at one of the attractions, go to the FastPass+ queue and tap your ticket to the Mickey RFID reader to enter the line. Your ticket will be scanned a second time as you get closer to the attraction, just as cast members collected your FastPass with the legacy system.

List of FastPass+ experiences and kiosk locations by park:

If you’re looking for a list of FastPass+ enabled attractions and entertainment options and the locations of FastPass+ kiosks by park, we list them here:

We hope you’ve found this visual guide to using the kiosks helpful as you get ready for your trip! We’re working on a post with tips for incorporating FastPass+ in your touring plans, so make sure to check it out.

What questions do you have about FastPass+? Share them with us in comments below!

Hoppy planning!
Leap

61 Responses to “How To Use FastPass+ at Disney World in the Parks – Step By Step”

1. Kerry M says:

Thanks for this summary!! So, can you only use the fastpass on 3 attractions? Is that in 1 day? Can you use fastpass at the other attractions also, the “old-fashioned” way, or is that gone now? Also, we used to use all of our tickets to get fastpasses, even if hte ride was something that not everyone could go on (like thunder mountain railroad, we’d get all 6 FP’s, then 3 people could ride twice.) Will this still be an option, or does the computer know that our little guys are only 3 and couldn’t ride Thunder Mountain Railroad. Thanks:)

Hi Kerry,

As the system currently stands, you get three FastPass selections per day for use in one park only.

It’s possible you could get the whole family FastPass+ reservations for Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and then the older riders could use the tickets of those who didn’t want to ride. The only thing to consider is if you have MagicBands, it might be cumbersome to keep taking them off and putting them back on.

– Leap

2. robert gwiazdzinski says:

do you get a print out or something with your times on it or do you have to remember it?

Hi Robert,

You can have it emailed to you or if you have already set up an account on My Disney Experience, you can view your selections via the app. You can also view it again at any kiosk within any of the parks.

– Leap

3. Deb says:

So if I am reading GUIs correctly if you purchase a park hopper ticket and plan to do 2 parks in one day you can only get 3 fast pass + times for one park? That would defeat having a park hopper ticket….. I’ll be interested to see what effect this has on the standby lines?..

Hey Deb,

You read it correctly. If you plan to park hop, we assume you are starting your day early at the first park when wait times are low. Take advantage of that, and book your FastPasses for the second park. By the way, you can book the FastPasses from any of the parks. So if you are a park hopping day guest, we’d recommend you book the FastPasses in the first park for the second park. Does that make sense?

4. Theresa D says:

So is the old Fastpass system completely gone? My family bought 10 day no expiration park hoppers a few years ago and only used 4 days. Now we are headed back to Disney in a couple of months. Do I continue to use those paper tickets and the old Fastpass machines. Or do I exchange the paper tickets for wristbands somewhere?

Hi Theresa,

The old FastPass system is gone. If you are staying at resort, you will receive MagicBands and won’t need to change out the old tickets. If you stay off site, then you would need to exchange the tickets.

Best,

5. Diana says:

Is the old FastPass system gone or can you still get FastPasses by walking up to the attraction?

6. Andy says:

Hi,
    I will be a Disney resort guest, and want to be able to use Fastpass+.
    Can I use tickets purchased through Undercovertourist to make the bookings 60 days in advance, or will I need to purchase these tickets through Disney direct?

Many thanks
    Andy

Hey Andy,

Yes, you can purchase our tickets and link them in My Disney Experience to book FastPass+ 60 days in advance if you are staying at the resort.

7. chris says:

Just wondering as an offsite visitor, could you book your fast pass rides at a different park (so book for HS at AK say?)

Hi Chris,

Just wanted to offer an update on this. We were able to make changes to our existing Magic Kingdom reservations from Disney’s Animal Kingdom, but we have also read that others have not been successful. It’s worth trying of course.

Has anyone else been able to create reservations from one park in another?

Best,

8. Amy says:

Hi
    so is the old fast-paced system no longer available…can I just use the old system instead of fasspass plus?
    The new system seems so limited especially when u are not staying on disney property
    Thanks

Hey Amy,

The old system is no longer available. It’s possible since Disney is still considering this “testing” that it would allow off-site guests to book further in advance as well, but we’ll have to wait and see.

9. NOLA says:

Do kids under 3 require a Fastpass to ride the rides since they don’t need a ticket to get into the park…or do you have to get some type of free ticket from guest services for them (not staying on grounds)? Just wondering because I wanted to try and link the tickets before arriving at park.

Hi NOLA,

Children under 3 do not require tickets and would just accompany you on the rides.

10. melissa says:

Whe did fastpass+ last year and loved it but they also had the old system as well. My question is since they did away with the old system are they still doing rider swap?

11. Nancy says:

Leap:

I purchased tickets from UT and am staying off property. Do I have to convert my “card” to a wristband? If so, where do I do that? Can I “convert” to a wrist the day before we go to the park so I’m ready to go?

Thanks so much for helping with my questions??

Hey Nancy,

You don’t NEED a MagicBand. The RFID tickets offer the same FastPass+ functionality.

Because you are staying off property, you won’t receive a MagicBand. It’s possible, depending on when you are visiting, that Disney will be selling MagicBands, and you could convert to it at that time.

Best,

12. Thomas says:

My family and I will be staying at the All Star Resort and have already linked our tickets with our reservation and have made some FastPass+ reservations. We have some family who will be visiting but not staying on-site. They have their card tickets already.

Is there a way to link their tickets with our reservation so we can make FastPass+ reservations for all of us? Thank you.

Anyone had success with the scenario Thomas is describing? I don’t think it would work as of now.

13. Mike says:

I’m trying to order FastPass + tickets via My Disney Experience online.
    If my family’s Disney trip is this May (more than 60 days before from now) is that why I currently cannot? Looking at the website, it seems ambiguous as to whether the 3 FastPass + rides cost anything. Is it free with early planning?

I’m also staying at a Disney resort and have everything booked, can I order FastPass + tickets as supplements to my already purchased items?

Thank you!!

Hi Mike,

FastPass+ is free, but you will not be able to book reservations until up to 60 days in advance of your trip. If you already have tickets and a resort reservation, you just need to make sure they are linked in the My Disney Experience account. If you have more questions, please call our customer service at 1-800-846-1302.

Best,

14. Kylie says:

Thank you for this!! I was pretty sure I understood how FP+ works (and will be an onsite guest, so I’ll book the FP from my app 60 days in advance), but this visual is GREAT!

15. Julie says:

I am having problems with the app. First my dinner reservations are showing up an hour earlier. When I called they said they could not explain it but it was off. Now when I signed up for the Fastpass + rides they say one time but when I click on the time it lists a time I changed it to. Is there a way to confirm my selections without the app? I am worried everything will be off and I will loose reservations everywhere.

Hi Julie,

I am really sorry you’re having so many issues with the My Disney Experience app. It is good that you have reached out to Disney. I know that they have been actively working to resolve issues while MyMagic+ is still in test mode.

16. Sarah Collins says:

Hi,

For guests with disabilities they used to just send them through the fast pass line. Do you know what the process will be now? My daughter is autistic and we are traveling in June, I am wondering how the new fast pass+ will change that.

Thanks, great article!

Hi Sarah,

Disney revised its guest assistance program in October. Our understanding is that guests receiving the Disability Access Service Card would still be accessing the rides via the FastPass+ lines. There are more details about the changes here.

Best,

17. Sharon says:

These new venues that Disney is now promoting are sad, confusing, and stressful. It appears that all guests now need to spend an inordinate amount of time before going to be sure that every minute at Disney is not only accounted for but also every precious minute is filled with running here and there to be at a specific ride or restaurant. Disney used to be simple and MAGICAL. Guests went there to get away from stress and schedules: just to enjoy the simple, uncomplicated pace. This truly is not Disney in my world. How sad.

• Melissa says:

Sharon, I agree with you 100%. I’ve been going to Disney for 40 years (since age 3) but after this next visit in May; I am DONE. It breaks my heart to say that but vacation planning has gone from a joy to an chore. I run a business full time while homeschooling my son; I do enough planning & stressing out in my life; I shouldn’t have to do that for a Disney vacation, of all things!

• debbie says:

I completely agree. I love Disney but this is too much. You have to know where you are going to be on which day and at what time. This is sad, but I had to go buy a smart phone just to go to Disney World this year.

• Kim says:

I hope some of you all that are disappointed and not liking the new system will come back and read what I am posting!!

I took the time to voice all the concerns you all are voicing to Disney back in February after we returned from our trip to Disney. My hubby & I completely agree with all the complaints and concerns that you all have taken the time to post here. After sending my email I got a phone call and a follow up survey from Disney. I told the Disney employee all our concerns and she was very nice & listened patiently to all I had to say.

This is a brand new system and it is still in the process of being worked out! Right now they are working on getting the system up and running at each park separately but they are very aware of the concerns about the limited number of FastPass+ and the fact that it makes park hopping less appealing for visitors. There will be changes coming and they are working on them. They are trying to figure out exactly how to implement the changes to make it MAGICAL for all families! After speaking with the Disney employee I received a survey which asked me for my thoughts on some of the changes they are looking at. So I hope that before you throw in the towel on Disney that you will take the time to let them know how you feel….they are and do listen!! And that you will give them a chance to implement the changes.

Our family loves Disney and we are going to try to work WITH them to get this system back on the track of a MAGICAL vacation for all! The lady I spoke with indicated that these changes might be coming before we return in August and that she would be in contact with me after we returned to see what we thought. I was very happy with the response I got from DISNEY!!!!

Just wanted to share my experience!

18. Angie says:

Hi, I was wondering if we are staying off site if I buy tickets thru My Disney Experience account does that let me make the 60 day Fastpass reservations? Undercovertourist website is cheaper but would like to do 60 day advance Fastpass reservations if possible or can it only be done if you stay at a disney resort.

Hi Angie,

At this time, the 60 day advanced reservations are only available if you stay on site.

Best,

19. Maria says:

This whole thing is so confusing to me… So the only way you can make reservations 60 days in advance is if you stay on site to use the fast pass+ … We will not be staying on site so does that mean we can not make fast pass reservations at all?? Will we be able to make selections at the park? or is the fass pass system not avalable for people not staying on site?

Hi Maria,

If you are not staying on site, you will be able to make reservations once you arrive in the parks using the FastPass+ kiosks. Only guests staying at the resort can make advance reservations.

Best,

20. stacy says:

What’s the point of Disney having the fast pass if Everyone gets it?

21. Aki says:

I plan to buy tickets from UT, but what does RFID FastPass enabled mean? Whats the difference with these tickets and tickets from Disney.com (or gate tickets)? I’m confused.

Hi Aki,

Last year, Disney phased out its previous ticket type. All Disney tickets sold at the gate and from us are now RFID and FastPass+ enabled.

Best,

22. Aki says:

^ Just a follow up question. How about the tickets sold at the Disney website? Are they also FastPass+ enabled?

Thank you!

23. Patty Patrick says:

I am really disappointed and somewhat annoyed by this change. We were super organized and planned ahead and we managed WAY MORE than 3 fast passes each day of our trips to Disneyworld. As expensive as it is to get in to the parks, and because we have a large family, we manage a trip about every 6 years to Florida. We made a plan, worked super hard, covered a lot of miles walking the parks but we got to ride our favorite rides several times. I am annoyed that Disney has penalized people who tried to get “their money’s worth” on their visits. I think they just want people to spend more days, which I don’t understand how regular people can afford to do that. Boo Disney. I understand how this helps as far as fewer employees, since you just scan at the ride, also less nightmares at the fastpass distribution areas with stuck passes etc. but why limit it to 3 per day. Not cool.

• Kim says:

The system is still a work in progress and they are working on making it more magical but it is taking time. I replied to another post regarding the changes I was told Disney is working on. Things will change according to the Disney employee I talked to a couple of weeks ago.

24. Lynn says:

We just got back from hopping around Disney and this FastPass+ system was a big change! I reviewed this article beforehand and we made our selections (3 per day, all within one park) for our family. We had complications as my Mom was with us, but her “MyDisneyExperience” account was not connected to mine, so she wasn’t included in any of our FastPass selections. At the hotel, our concierges are doing a LOT of IT type help now, so they spent over an hour working out our account to connect my Mom with us and rebooked our FastPass+ so we were all together (we went off to the pool and they just called me when it was complete). We didn’t do that until after a day or two, and during those first days, we just went to the attraction at the right time and when 3 of us scanned in “green” and Mom scanned in “blue” the attendant just modified it so it turned green and she could go with us. At one attraction I was thanking the employee and she said that the only time that is a problem is when only one person has a FastPass+ and tries to bring in like 10 people. Booking BEFORE you go is critical–those lines at the kiosks were crazy and looked like the rush to SpaceMountain fastpass in years gone by. We were able to walk right onto all of our assigned rides (including Dumbo) and avoided standing in line at the Nemo show. Overall, I enjoyed the FastPass+ experience.

25. Bill says:

I just want to give a shout out to Undercover Tourist. You not only saved us money but took the time to explain how to add the tickets to our My Disney Experience App (We are staying at a Disney Hotel) and also say that while it may all be new and different there are advantages to being able to schedule your FP’s around your other plans. I have faith that Disney will continue to make it a better system after they get the kinks worked out but overall it still beats waiting in line for two hours to ride those must do rides.

• Bill says:

One thing I was wondering if you have a calculator on your site or app that determines when (and what time) you can make the 60 day reservations.

Hi Bill,

We currently do not, but thanks for the suggestion!

Bill,

Thanks for the praise!! We’re so glad we could help you save time and money!!

26. Mindy says:

We are visiting Disney for the first time in June as a party of 8. We are staying off-site. Regarding the FastPass+ (I’m not even familiar with the “old” FastPass), how long should I plan waiting in line at the kiosk to make selections?

Hi Mindy,

The time varies by kiosk and location. At park opening, the kiosks closest to the entrances are swamped. Plan to visit one further away from the entrance, and it should be more manageable.

27. Bridget says:

I am staying offsite. When I book my FastPass+ the same day in the park, can I make updates to it via the My Disney Experience app later that day, or do I need to go back to a kiosk? How long are the lines at the kiosk, especially when the gates open? Is there a mad rush to the kiosk?

Hi Bridget,

As of now, after non-resort guests book their FP+, they can use the app to view their selections, but they must use the kiosks to make updates. This is expected to change, but it has not yet.

28. Autumn says:

The post above said that the kiosk lines were insane. Anyone else with experience at the kiosk in the park? Does it take forever to get the process done on site?

• Mary says:

I would also like to know this. Any tips about getting the fast passes if you are not a resort guest and you have to do it day of your park visit?

29. mary says:

Is the Swan or dolphin considered on site? Are off site guests able to get fast passes now or are they at a disadvantage?

Hi Mary,

These are not Disney-owned hotels, and currently they are not able to make advanced FP+ reservations.

Best,

30. Yahira says:

Im trying to book my fast passes online now. I know you can change your 3 choices if needed but what if you change your mind on what park to go to on what day. We as a family usually like to feel out or morning and then decide what park.

Hi Yahira,

You can change your park or your selections provided there is availability.

Best,