Hi there! Welcome to our weekly roundup of the most interesting theme park news around the Walt Disney World Resort, Universal Orlando, SeaWorld Orlando and other theme parks.
This week’s theme park highlights:
- It’s officially the day of love, and to celebrate, the princes will be out to meet their sweeties at Magic Kingdom Park today. Kenny the Pirate even posted a pic of Bert with Mary Poppins at City Hall. Hope all of you in the park enjoy the treat! Happy Valentine’s Day!!
- OK, so maybe it’s not newsy news, but last night, I spent most of the evening helping Lily make a Valentine’s mailbox and cards for her tadpole friends. Of course, she wanted the Disney princesses. And I carefully helped her add tiny jewels to our shimmery paper cards. She also made an Olaf card for “the bestest big brother in the world!” Of course, he is her only brother, but the sentiment wasn’t lost on Tad. For all of you procrastinators, it’s not too late to create a personalized Disney card for your Olaf and princess fans.
- One of the construction walls around the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train has come down in Magic Kingdom, allowing guests to get a closeup look at the new coaster. AND the Orlando Sentinel reports the New Fantasyland coaster will be a cross between the Barnstormer and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad in intensity. We cannot wait for the whole Frog Family to experience it together !
- Lily has been watching “The Little Mermaid” a lot lately, and every time I see it, I think about how well Under the Sea~Journey of the Little Mermaid captures the essence of the film. It is one of the sweetest rides in all of Disney World, and it has one of the best-themed queues. Next time you visit New Fantasyland, look around the queue near Prince Eric’s village, and you’ll see a nod to the original 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea attraction.
- The gals from the LEGO Friends series return to LEGOLAND Florida this weekend with a cupcake build, a sing-a-long, scavenger hunt and more.
- Those of you heading to the parks through Feb. 17 can catch “Blank — A Vinylmation Love Story” at Disney’s Hollywood Studios. The 39-minute stop-motion animation film tells the story of an unpainted Vinylmation on a very big quest!
- Earlier this week, we brought you a first glimpse at the costumes for Disney’s Festival of Fantasy parade. The Disney Parks Blog has released even more photos of the fantastic costumes for the Magic Kingdom parade set to debut in March.
- The first of several new restaurants headed to Universal CityWalk has opened. Antojitos Authentic Mexican Food replaced Latin Quarter.
- Wet’n Wild is building the tallest and fastest racing slide this side of Orlando, which is set to open this summer.
- PUSH, the talking trash can, made its final appearance at Magic Kingdom over the weekend.
That’s it for the theme park news this week. Have a great weekend!
If you’re thinking about a trip to Disney World, make sure to check out the other news, tips and information we post to the blog throughout the week. If you’re ready to plan your trip, we recommend you start with our planning pages.
— Mommy Frog